Thursday, September 17, 2009

It’s really fun to say, “Hey look I know that person, I talk to him every day and so far he’s never bitten me.”


“Good morning. How are you?” is said a thousand times a day by strangers in passing and is usually followed with a cursory, “I’m fine, how are you?” But what if you’re not fine? What if you’re the opposite of fine? Do you stand on the sidewalk and tell your life story to a complete stranger or do you keep on the fake smile, lie and say you’re good, and go on your way. We lie. So why even ask?

I recently met a woman who didn’t take my, “I’m okay,” answer and she stopped and took the time to listen. Actually listen. A complete stranger. You don’t find people who honestly want to know how you’re doing, they’re busy and in a hurry and trying to be polite. But she did. And not only that first day that I saw her, but every time I saw her again she listened, advised, hugged.

Is it her life experiences that have given her the insight to know when someone is in need? Now, with a budding friendship where she gives me coffee, watches my son some mornings and even lets me cry to her on the phone, I worry about taking advantage of this wonderful woman’s seemingly endless supply of compassion.

I used to be one of those people and I wonder where along the way I lost that compassion and became so jaded and cynical. I’m hoping that my new life will get me back to the kind, considerate person I used to be. I’m hoping my old friends know I’m going through a rough time and will get back there and my new friends will figure out that this bitterness really isn’t me. And I’m hoping Jacky knows just how much I treasure her friendship.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Well written. You have me thinking about all the people who stop and ask, "how's it goin?" when they dont really want an answer. Kinda sucks to realize that there are lots of people I know who do that. Oh well. Screw 'em! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol Megan. It's true, I've said, "I'm good, how are you?" Every day when I'm not good and I couldn't care less how they are.

    ReplyDelete